Updated 12 December 2022
- This guide outlines eight popular business podcasts, covering well-known business people, tips for scaling companies, venture capital, entrepreneur tips and other relevant information.
- All podcasts listed below are free to listen to - some may have paid subscription options and features, but this is entirely voluntary.
- Our view is that the content presented in these podcasts is timeless and not news-focused; the learning, teaching and principles discussed are relevant no matter how old or new they are.
- We only cover New Zealand based productions due to the difficulty in providing a suitable shortlist of overseas podcasts - there are too many to consolidate into a meaningful list.
- We have no association with any of the podcasts listed below, and have included them based on the strength of the host's insight, depth of research and general accessibility to a broad audience.
Know this first: MoneyHub has a range of actionable guides that help New Zealanders learn more about investing - our most popular resources include:
New Zealand TV news either relegates or excludes business news (unless there's a breaking story), but Radio New Zealand invests in extensive coverage. Morning Report, Midday and Checkpoint are popular programs featuring business news, but the best of everything is found on the RNZ website.
Listen Now: RNZ Business News
Host Simon Pound talks to New Zealanders running businesses in every industry imaginable. There are 250+ episodes to choose from dating back to 2016, and it's very inspirational.
Listen Now: Business is Boring (Published by The Spinoff)
Veteran journalist Heather du Plessis-Allan presents an insightful series with successful founders such as Rod Drury, Trelise Cooper, Sir Michael and Emma Hill, Les and Phillip Mills, Sir Stephen Tindall and Peter Beck. Each interviewee tells the story of their initial businesses, success and lessons learned. While the series isn't updated weekly or even monthly, the quality is rich and timeless.
Listen Now: Newstalk ZB HP Business Class
Paul Spain fronts the NZ Tech Podcast and the NZ Business Podcast, and interviews top business people to discuss their tips for success, new trends, how to tackle challenges and other interesting topics, including profiling newly-established businesses. There's a lot to select from, and while the most recent podcasts are technology-focused, it's presented at an accessible level.
Listen Now: NZ Tech Podcast (active) and NZ Business Podcast (no longer being updated)
Focused more on the economy, politics, currencies and trade than individual companies, the Economy Watch podcast discusses the latest New Zealand economic news, presented by finance powerhouse interest.co.nz. The podcasts are punchy and tend not to be any longer than 5 minutes. Best of all, there's no spin or angle - it's all fact with the sole purpose of educating its audience.
Listen Now: Economy Watch
Unfiltered was merged with Crimson Education in 2021, but the platform still offers free-to-watch videos covering interviews with business people from around the world. A significant number of New Zealanders are featured. While the website focuses on video interviews (the podcast versions were removed from Spotify in 2020), you can register for free and play any of the videos on your device and listen to them as audio. Each episode is at least 45+ minutes and follows a set question list.
Listen Now: Unfiltered (register for free access using a New Zealand IP address)
- How to Start a Business
- Raising Capital
- Product Market Fit
- Crowdfunding vs Bank Financing
- Blackbird vs Movac
- How to Become an Angel Investor
- How to Raise Money from Angel Investors
- Alternatives to VC Funding
- Hiring for a Startup
- VCFO (Virtual CFO)
- New Zealand Startup and Founder Incubators
- Expanding Offshore
- Invoice Templates