- Best Money Transfer Service - TransferWise, as revealed by our extensive research into international money transfers.
- Best Debit Card for Korean Won - The TransferWise Debit Card (best NZD:KRW rate, and 0% foreign currency fees if you withdraw up to NZ$350 within a 30-day rolling period (and then a 2% fee of anything above that).
- Best Credit Card for Korean Won - The Flight Centre Mastercard outperforms all other cards given its 0% overseas currency conversion fee.
- ATMs Availability and Costs - ATMs are common all over South Korea. ATMs limit a withdrawal to 700,000 won per transaction (approx NZ$1,000). Find out what your bank's international debit card and credit card fees here.
- Be aware, Travel Money Cards DO NOT support Korean Won, so they aren't useful when in South Korea.
- Save money when withdrawing or spending Korean Won with our foreign exchange guide.
- Won comes in 1,000, 5,000, 10,000 and 50,000 notes.
Suggested money tip when arriving and travelling in South Korea:
- Bring around NZD$300 in cash which you can use as a safety net and exchange in Seoul and other major cities.
- Withdraw the amount of KRW you think you will need for your stay.
- Avoid airport money exchange kiosks - they most likely offer the worst exchange rates. ATMs give you the market exchange rate without the greedy commission.
- Leftover KRW? If you have a small amount of Won remaining, you can use them to settle your hotel bill extras, transfers back to the airport and/or apply them to a duty free purchase on departure (you can pay part cash, part card).